Another year has flown by and Christmas is upon us again! While the holiday season can be a fun and joyous time, it can also be very stressful and taxing on our bodies. So to help you tackle the festive season, we have come up with some simple Christmas health tips.
Three Lamps Chiropractic LTD
1. KEEP MOVING!
- Be active and get outside. Set yourself an exercise challenge and plan to move for at least 30 minutes each day throughout the holidays. In addition to burning calories, building up a sweat releases endorphins, which can help to boost your mood.
2. EAT HEALTHY
- Remember the golden rule : everything in moderation. Be sure to fill up on foods that are high in protein and healthy fats (fish, chicken, avocado, eggs, nuts and vegetables, and limit foods in sugars and saturated fats.
3. LIMIT ALCOHOL INTAKE
The National Health and Medical Research Council recommend consuming no more than 1-2 standard drinks on any day. Having alcohol free days is important. If you must drink, here are some helpful tips to minimise the toxic effect that alcohol places on your body:
- Stay hydrated! We lose fluid and electrolytes when our body processes alcohol, leading to dehydration, which can have vast negative effects on your health and wellbeing. Many common hangover symptoms including: headaches, dry mouth and thirst, can be attributed to by dehydration. Be sure to alternate your drinks by drinking one glass of water for every glass of alcohol.
- Drink slowly- stick to no more than one alcoholic drink an hour.
- Always eat a nutritious meal consuming alcohol. This will slow down the absorption of alcohol into your bloodstream.
- Consider Milk Thistle- thought to help protect liver cells from alcohol, induced damage and enhances liver detoxification.
- Load up on B group vitamins, antioxidants and ginger to help relieve nausea
Anxiety, depression and stress are very common during the holiday season. Stress can have a dramatic effect on your health and wellbeing. Take time to meditate and practise mindfulness for 20 minutes twice a day to help stay grounded and tackle the day ahead in a positive state of mind.
5. GET ENOUGH SLEEP
Plan to have some early nights during the silly season. Getting a good nights rest is fundamentally important. It allows the body to balance and regulate vital systems: including respiration, circulation, growth and immune response.
6. WATCH THE HEAVY LIFTING!
Lifting heavy Christmas presents can place extra pressure through the intervertebral discs in your lower back, making you more suspectible to injury. Be sure to lift smoothly, maintain good balance, bend at the knees and avoid unnecessary twisting or bending.
7. GET ADJUSTED!
Three Lamps Chiropractic will be closed from 24th December 2019, 1pm and will return to normal hours from the 6th January 2020, 8am, so be sure to book in now before the silly season really kicks in!
Wishing you are very Happy and Healthy Festive Season, from all of us at Three Lamps Chiropractic.